If I am in an auto accident with a city, county, or state worker and they are at fault, can I make a claim against the city, county, or state?

In general, a governmental employee has immunity for all claims which could lie in “tort”. However, a claim can be made against a public entity, if the employee of the public entity is operating a motor vehicle owned or leased by a public entity, and that employee while driving is acting in the scope of employment. C.R.S. 24-10-106. There are some exceptions for emergency vehicles in some circumstances.

Injured by a motor vehicle driven by a city, county or state vehicle? Call Law One.

Experienced. Ethical. Intelligent. Personable. Law One.

Joseph Elio

Law One

1444 Blake Street

Denver, CO 80202